- In August 2023, the EPFO added 1.69 million net members, according to provisional payroll data. This figure includes both new members and those who rejoined the EPFO.
- Of the new members, a significant 58.36% belong to the age group of 18-25 years, indicating a substantial entry of young individuals into the organized sector workforce.
- The August enrollment is slightly lower than the previous month, when the EPFO recorded the highest-ever monthly enrollment of 1.87 million members.
- Approximately 1.18 million members exited and rejoined the EPFO, marking a 10.13% year-on-year increase. These members chose to transfer their accumulated funds instead of applying for a final settlement.
- Out of the 926,000 new members, 244,000 were female, and 682,000 were male. The data also reveals an addition of 343,000 net female members during the month.
- Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Haryana, and Gujarat were the top five states in terms of net member addition, accounting for 58.64% of the total net members added. Industries such as trading-commercial establishments, building & construction, engineer-engineering contractors, and textiles sectors had the highest membership, with expert services contributing significantly.