- India’s Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology is set to establish the Bharat Semiconductor Research Centre, dedicated to semiconductor research.
- The research center will be developed in collaboration with industry experts and academia, following a public-private partnership (PPP) model.
- The center aims to achieve global recognition and prominence in semiconductor research, akin to renowned international institutions such as IMEC, Nano Tech, ITRI, and MIT Micro-electronic Labs, which are known for their contributions to cutting-edge technologies.
- The Bharat Semiconductor Research Centre will concentrate on advanced silicon, packaging research and development, material sciences, and the design of semiconductor devices, contributing to India’s growth in semiconductor technology.
- The establishment of the research center is expected to take shape by the year 2024.
- This announcement comes in the context of India’s focus on semiconductor research. US tech giant IBM has also signed agreements with the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, including the establishment of a research center for semiconductor research and development.