- The Indian government is expected to approve Starlink’s voice and data communication services after satisfactory answers on data storage and transfer norms.
- Starlink, Elon Musk’s satellite internet company, will be granted a global mobile personal communication by satellite services (GMPCS) license pending security checks.
- Initially proposing international data norms, Starlink agreed to comply with local data storage requirements imposed by Indian authorities.
- If approved, Starlink would become the third satcom company to secure the GMPCS license in India, joining Reliance Jio and OneWeb.
- The approval process involves obtaining a license from the Indian National Space Promotion and Authorisation Centre (IN-SPACe) and spectrum allotment from the Department of Telecommunications (DoT).