- The Indian government has issued an advisory to social media platforms, including X, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Platforms are required to remove or disable morphed images and deep fake content within 24 hours upon receiving a complaint.
- The advisory cites IT rules and outlines the obligations of social media companies regarding impersonation and deep fake content.
- Social media intermediaries must observe due diligence in enforcing their rules and privacy policies to prevent the hosting of impersonating content.
- Failure to comply with the advisory may lead to action by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) and potential legal consequences under IT rules.