- Nine Indian states recorded a higher rate of inflation than the national average in October.
- The national average inflation rate in October was 4.87%, but states like Odisha, Rajasthan, and Haryana reported higher rates of 6.47%, 6.25%, and 6.02%, respectively.
- Other states, including Bihar, Karnataka, Punjab, Telangana, Gujarat, and Uttar Pradesh, also reported inflation rates between 5.06% and 5.63%.
- India’s overall inflation rate is lower than that of South Africa (5.4%) and Russia (6.69%), two emerging market peers in the BRICS grouping.
- The UK is the only advanced economy with a higher inflation rate than India, reporting 6.7% in September. The USA reported 3.7%, Japan 3.3%, Germany 3.8%, and France 4% in October.