Samsung, Qualcomm flag concerns with India’s push for live TV on phones
- Samsung, Qualcomm, and other companies oppose India’s plan to mandate live TV broadcast hardware in smartphones.
- India considers using ATSC 3.0 technology for this purpose.
- Companies argue that adding ATSC 3.0 compatibility to existing smartphones in India would increase device costs by $30.
- They also express concerns about potential negative impacts on battery performance and cellular reception.
- The pushback is part of ongoing disagreements between smartphone companies and the Indian government over technology mandates. India seeks to reduce network congestion by enabling live TV broadcasts on smartphones.