- The Supreme Court of India has reaffirmed its 2021 order allowing the use of only green firecrackers, extending its application to the entire country, not just Delhi-NCR.
- The court emphasized that protecting the environment is a collective responsibility and that its orders are binding nationwide.
- In 2021, the Supreme Court permitted firecrackers without barium salts and banned those containing such polluting chemicals.
- The court observed that children seldom engage in firecracker bursting, and it is primarily adults who do so.
- The Supreme Court’s orders aim to minimize air and noise pollution during festive seasons, and no new directives are needed in this regard.