- OpenAI has partnered with Axel Springer, owner of Business Insider and Politico, to use its content for training generative AI models.
- This agreement allows ChatGPT users access to summaries of selected articles from Axel Springer’s publications, even those behind paywalls.
- Axel Springer will receive payments from OpenAI, and the deal is set for several years without exclusivity commitment.
- Publishers have contentious relationships with generative AI vendors over copyright issues and concerns about traffic cannibalization.
- Media organizations are urging policymakers for regulations ensuring transparency in AI training datasets and negotiation rights for media companies.