- MakeMyTrip initiated a copyright infringement case against Booking.com and Google, alleging unauthorized bidding on MakeMyTrip’s trademarks in Google Ads.
- In April 2022, Justice Prathibha M. Singh directed Google to cease using MakeMyTrip as a bidding keyword. Last month, the Delhi High Court issued a restraining order against Dialmytrip, preventing its name’s usage in tours, travel, hospitality, and related services.
- A division bench of the Delhi High Court, on December 14, overturned MakeMyTrip’s injunction on Google and Booking.com. The court expressed an inability to accept MMT’s claim to such rights under the Trademark Act.
- The court’s order indicated skepticism regarding MakeMyTrip’s rights to claim exclusivity over its trademarks in relation to Google Ads’ use of these trademarks as ‘keywords.’
- The ruling highlights an ongoing legal dispute between MakeMyTrip, Google, and Booking.com regarding the use of trademarks in online advertisements, with the recent decision favoring Google and Booking.com’s position in this case.