- Over the past five years until April 2023, the number of GST return filers in India increased by approximately 65% to reach 11.3 million, showcasing better taxpayer compliance.
- Active taxpayers registered under GST also grew from 10.6 million in April 2018 to 14 million.
- Data revealed that 90% of eligible taxpayers were filing GSTR-3B returns by the end of the filing month in the current fiscal year, a significant rise from 68% in 2017-18, the inaugural year of GST implementation.
- The ministry attributed the improved compliance level in GST return filing to effective policy changes and systemic alterations.
- November’s monthly GST collection stood at Rs 1.68 trillion, marking the sixth instance where gross GST collection crossed the Rs 1.60 trillion mark in the current fiscal year.
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman highlighted an upward trend in GST collections since its rollout, with an average gross monthly collection of Rs 1.66 trillion in the current fiscal year. The collection reached a record high of Rs 1.87 trillion in April.