- Telecommunications Bill, 2023 introduced by Electronics & Information Technology Minister aims to amend and consolidate telecom laws.
- Seeks to replace outdated laws like the Indian Telegraph Act 1885 and Indian Wireless Telegraphy Act 1933.
- Defines telecommunication broadly, encompassing various transmission methods and internet-based services.
- Includes provisions for national security, allowing temporary possession of telecom services in emergencies, prioritizing messages, and exempting journalists from interception under specific circumstances.
- Emphasizes procurement of telecom equipment and services from trusted sources, reflecting geopolitical concerns.
- Highlights biometric-based identification for telecom service provision to counter fake or forged document usage.
- AI-driven solutions like ASTR (Artificial Intelligence and Facial Recognition powered Solution for Telecom SIM Subscriber Verification) used to detect suspected connections among 87 crore mobile connections.