- Lok Sabha passed the Telecommunication Bill, 2023, replacing the antiquated Indian Telegraph Act of 1885.
- Minister Ashwini Vaishnav hailed the bill as a historic step, highlighting the Digital India campaign’s impact on telecom infrastructure growth.
- The bill emphasizes user protection, imposing strict penalties for fraudulent SIM acquisitions to safeguard user privacy.
- It aims to amend and consolidate laws related to telecommunication services, spectrum assignment, and network operations.
- Industry responses to the bill have been mixed, with IAMAI praising the exclusion of internet companies, while IFF raised concerns about potential surveillance powers reminiscent of colonial-era laws.