- In 2023, Apple continued its strategy of quietly acquiring artificial intelligence (AI) startups to enhance its capabilities across its products and services.
- According to estimates from Stocklytics, Apple acquired up to 32 AI companies in 2023, surpassing other major tech giants like Google, Meta (formerly Facebook), and Microsoft in terms of AI startup acquisitions.
- Apple’s acquisition strategy aims to secure top-tier talent and innovative technologies, consolidating its foothold in crucial AI domains and ensuring a competitive edge in the rapidly evolving tech landscape.
- The company has remained relatively quiet about how it plans to utilize the AI technology and expertise gained through its acquisitions, but the approach reflects a multi-pronged push to advance its AI capabilities through talent acquisition, technology integration, and intellectual property expansion.
- Some notable AI startup acquisitions by Apple in recent years include Voysis, WaveOne, Emotient, and Laserlike, focusing on areas such as voice assistants, video compression, expression recognition, app recommendations, and music AI.
- Apple’s focus on early-stage startups suggests its intention to identify and invest in emerging AI trends before competitors, indicating ambitious plans for future devices and services.
- While Apple rarely comments on specific acquisitions, analysts estimate that the company has been acquiring startups at a rapid pace of 2-3 per week in recent years, demonstrating its commitment to leading the AI race in the years ahead.